July 30, 2020
Howland Local School District
Online Remote Learning Expectations
Last March, we were thrust into a world that was completely new to all of us. Overnight, we went from educating our students in a traditional classroom setting to learning how to navigate a completely new, virtual learning environment. It was a challenging time as we worked to provide the best education possible to our students given the resources that were available to us at the time.
Over these last couple of months, we’ve been able to identify areas where we were successful in this new learning model and we’ve also been able to identify areas where we need to make improvements. With that said, we know that the way in which our students learned prior to the pandemic is something we will continue to work toward. We must all recognize that patience and flexibility will be needed as we ALL (teachers, staff, students and parents) work together this school year.
The following is a brief description of the remote online remote learning option to families who cannot or prefer not to send their students back to the classroom this year.
Independent Online Remote Learning Plan: online learning program offered through Edmentum to be completed independently by students
Reasons for Online Remote Learning Model
- Students are unable to participate in on-campus learning (I.E. Students/family members living at home with medical conditions that compromise immunity system)
- Families are not comfortable participating in on-campus face-to-face learning
Online Remote Learning Model
- At this time the plan for remote learning will involve online learning modules that are paced at the learning development of the student.
- Students will have a teacher who will collaborate and assist teaching explanations of assignments as well as grade assignments and assessments. This remote learning option does not offer a full day teaching experience remotely for the student.
- Howland Schools will utilize Edmentum, a standards-based online learning curriculum, for this remote learning option.
- Content, learning activities, assignments and assessments are located in this singular learning option.
- Features guided pacing and independent learning that engages students in curriculum activities aligned to state standards.
- Adjustments are made for students with special needs.
- Wednesdays will serve as possible “office hours” for students or families who have questions and wish to talk with a counselor at the student’s respective school building
Additional details will be released in the coming weeks once the district is able to gauge the number of families interested in the remote learning option. Signing up for the independent remote online option,via our survey, does not obligate your child to the program at this time. Additional information will be sent to families in the coming weeks so that they can make an informed final decision by August 10, 2020.
Howland Local Schools will do everything we can to support students and families with their online learning. We have the capability of providing electronic devices to students, as well as internet hot spots to those with NO internet access. Our staff is developing ways to support parents and provide technical, teaching and social/emotional support through this process.
July 29, 2020
Dear Howland Schools Families,
As we continue to develop and solidify the logistics for our restart plan, we will continue to publish surveys to gather your valuable input so that we can make the most informed decisions along the way and keep you in the loop throughout the process.
The results from this particular survey will assist us in determining exact numbers for enrollment in the INDEPENDENT ONLINE REMOTE LEARNING option being offered. This option is for those students who DO NOT plan to return to school under the following models:
1. Traditional Learning Plan: traditional learning plan with face-to-face instruction at Howland Schools
2. Hybrid Learning Plan: a blend of face-to-face instruction at Howland Schools and online remote learning
We are prepared to start back under the traditional learning plan if health conditions should improve prior to the start of school. However, if state/local social distancing guidelines and conditions have not changed, the intent is to return to school using a hybrid learning model.
Commitment: Students will only be permitted to switch learning plans at the end of the semester.
Reasons for Remote Online Learning Model
1. Students are unable to participate in on-campus learning: Students/family members living at home with medical conditions that compromise immunity system.
2. Families are not comfortable participating in on-campus face-to-face learning
Remote Online Learning Model
1. Standards-based and aligned online learning curriculum
2. Content, learning activities, assignments and assessments located in this singular learning model
3. Features guided pacing and independent learning that engages students in curriculum activities
4. Assists students with special needs
The deadline to complete this survey is August 7, 2020. More details about remote online learning will be shared by August 7, 2020, with those families who have indicated an interest in this survey so families can confirm their intentions by August 10, 2020.